If it is not obvious, I am loving my busy schedule. I literally have to plan out my entire day by the hour, write it down, follow it, and breathe to stay sane and on top of everything. There are … Continue reading
So here goes a short and sweet PBM because I need to put it out there how awesome this week has been and for all of the reasons that were once super wrong in my brain. Physically: I have not … Continue reading
Today is a very special day. It is my daddy’s birthday. I am so grateful to have you in my life daddy. I am pretty sure you know how awesome you are, and I hope you know that thanks to … Continue reading
Y’all this has been one heck of a week and I have so much exciting news!
- Monday was so long I literally thought it was Wednesday by the time it hit 6pm and I was still on campus. I had woken up at 4am to head to the metabolic kitchen and help with the diet prep for the study my professor is doing. We are trying to study the effects of probiotics and and high saturated fat diet. It is hypothesized that the addition of the probiotic will prevent weight gain. Right now I am measuring and packing the client’s food each morning. Let me tell you what I was told- you cannot EVER be too anal when it comes to lab work! Every gram of bread counts people! But I am having a blast and feel like a real working girl!
- Except I am not a full time working girl. I am a full time student. But I realized late Monday evening that I needed to drop my Medical Ethics and Human Experience class. It means I am ONLY taking 13 credits. But with two research things going on, tutoring Mondays and Tuesdays, group projects, TA for anatomy and physiology, and well life and sleep need to happen. So I did what was best for me. Some students may be able to function with my schedule outside of classes and take 15+ credits but I wouldn’t be able to do the quality of work that I believe my parent’s money is worth.
- I am working with the head of the HNFE graduate department for my undergraduate research. Y’all I could not be more excited and nervous. How did this happen? This kind of thing doesn’t happen to me! But seriously it doesn’t. I am going to be working my little butt off! We are setting up the project outline Friday. Is it Friday yet?
- I was really excited Tuesday night because I was going to be awesome and go to the gym and then to class. Shower stuff packed and I was in bed ready to conquer the day! Except we work with humans and humans are flawed my friends. The client was late and I did technically have time to hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes, shower and get to class but I would have been too stressed. The gym should never be a stressful experience. I think a lot of people could learn this lesson with me this semester. Sometimes life happens. Find another way to be active, clam your mind, and live life. The gym will be there tomorrow or the next day. I say this all smart but it is hard for me sometimes. Especially with the nation’s and my major’s focus on obesity and health. But I am healthy and busy and I have a great life and I get daily exercise walking literally all over campus (in the rain, sleet, or snow- I should deliver the mail). I used to revolve my life around the gym not I find time for the gym around the other things that are way more important (to me, I know sometimes exercise is the most important thing for some people and I respect that we all have our passions!).
- I am also participating in GUMP- Graduate-Undergraduate Mentorship Program. I LOVE my graduate mentors. Two are participating in a new program here that is specifically designed for them to become college professors after their PhD. And the third is involved in metabolic research so of course I love her! They are going to let me shadow them in the lab this semester, attend classes with them, and just talk and ask questions! I am so happy I took a leap of ambitious faith and applied to be a part of this program!
- I am really loving my classes and I think I am finding a direction for some future posts. I really want to share my passion of learning and I want to share my experiences inside and outside of the classroom. In Communicating with Food we are part of groups and each group gets a target population to research and develop meals and educational handouts for. I have Chinese American/Buddhist/Colon Cancer. This is going to be so hands on and eye opening! I also had to write an auto-ethnography about my food history and culture, which I plan to share shortly. I am just loving this semester honestly. Let’s just hope my go go go personality doesn’t get the best of me too often!
So my hope for this semester is to 1.) BE FLEXIBLE 2.) ENJOY MY EXPERIENCES 3.) Take a lesson I learned a long time ago at IHOP– Life is full of unknowns and imperfect situations. But I can get through it and learn from every experience good or bad. Who cares if I make one small mistake. Hopefully I take it and learn from it. I mean that is what school is about right? Learning!
Hey everyone! I have successfully completed week one of Spring semester and I have to say I think it is going to be a good one! Now I don’t want to bore you with every detail of my days like … Continue reading
First off I am sorry for the lack of detail into my life problem. But I have a lack of insight too so I can’t exactly pinpoint it. I have a feeling that through my next few writings some of … Continue reading
Some may have seen a rather distressed tweet from me recently. I am not going to lie there is something going on. But I don’t know how to put into words something I do not fully understand yet. I am going to talk with someone in the next week hopefully, and I have been shown more support than I could have expected. Thank you to everyone that has reached out and spoken to a very confused me on the phone over the past couple of hours. Thank you for the hugs, words of wisdom, and listening ears I am truly blessed and I know that.
This is not meant to be alarming. I am not falling to an eating disorder again, this honestly has less to do with that and more to do with some lingering anxiety and other normal 20 something year old life problems. I am still living and enjoying many pieces of my life. There are new things occurring even as we speak (Read: classes are starting, I just met with my professor- I am going to start researching at VT! and I am discovering new things I love every day). But I still need to tackle a few things. I am looking forward to having the time to sit down and write my thoughts. I know it will help me to process and I also hope it will bring insight into reader’s lives if they need it.
Just be patient with me. I tend to make myself busy really fast in the school year and end up barely having time to read blogs, much less write one of my own. But I am going to make time. Because over break this has been such an amazing release and way to express my thoughts. Plus I know I am going to learn so much this Spring that I have to share with the world!
I’ll be back sooner rather than later (read hopefully this week!). But first I need to get into the swing of things again!
Carrots, Eggs, or Coffee; “Which are you?” A young woman went to her grandmother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and … Continue reading
God has a plan for my life, and I have no clue what it is. I am a planner extraordinaire, but there is one thing I cannot plan and it is my life layout. Not that I haven’t tried. In … Continue reading
What would you say if I told you that you could only eat at 11am today? What if your only choice was a hotdog, baked beans, chips, and cookies? This is your only choice. Eat this or starve. What would … Continue reading