Hey everyone! I have successfully completed week one of Spring semester and I have to say I think it is going to be a good one! Now I don’t want to bore you with every detail of my days like I sometimes make my parents endure but I would like to highlight some of the past week’s happenings.
- You might say my semester started out rather bumpy. When I first got back a swarm of emotions just hit me. I still don’t know the complete root of those emotions and the therapy session I scheduled got rescheduled to this week. I am pretty nervous about this session for a lot of reasons. 1.) I have only ever gone to therapy for treatment for an eating disorder. This isn’t because of the ED it is something else. 2.) I don’t know the therapist and have no idea if he (it’s a he and that freaks me out too) will be able to help. and 3.) I was embarrassed that I couldn’t handle these emotions myself. But then my best friend told me something I keep repeating. We get physical check ups, why shouldn’t we need mental ones too every now and then. And she is so right. This will help me mentally check in with myself and I will be healthier for it.
- I am getting involved in research this semester! My metabolic professor from last semester is going to serve as my faculty mentor and help me to design a project I can begin working on this semester and continue into the summer! We are meeting again of Friday to finalize what I will be doing! Be prepared for lots of tweets and posts about my research! I will also be helping the dietitian on one of his current studies. We are feeding college age males a high fat diet and studying the effects on metabolism. I don’t have all of the details yet but I am waking up at 4am today to get to the lab at 6:30am and then I can hopefully give you all more details if you care.
- My classes seem fun and interesting. Here is a list: Metabolic Nutrition (Vitamins and Minerals this semester), Medical Dilemmas and Human Experience; Communicating with Food; Health Counseling; and Communications (Public Speaking 101). Honestly We have only had 3 days of classes (I don’t have class on Fridays!) so I can’t make a judgement on how they will be yet.
- I also can’t really give you insight as to what my daily life will look like this semester because I haven’t started tutoring yet and I haven’t gotten a schedule in terms of research yet. I made it to the gym every day except Tuesday this week. That probably won’t happen again until the end of the semester but you never know. By Saturday actually I was worried that my obsession with having to go to the gym was back and I almost didn’t go. Then I called my parents and they said go if I wanted to and make sure I can make myself stop and leave before it gets obsessive. So an easy run on the treadmill it was!
- Cooper House! I finally made it to my college ministry Tuesday night dinner and will be going most Tuesdays this semester! After Atlanta I made it a goal to keep the connections and friends I made and this is a great way for me to stay friends with them and make new acquaintances! It will also give me flexibility practice because it is one night a week where I have no control over what I am eating for dinner. Sure I could wait to eat at home if I didn’t like the food but I am going to try to make it my goal to find something there each week.
- Snow. It ruins plans. This bullet should be about me going downtown for a friend’s birthday on Friday night. But the buses stopped running and I wasn’t smart enough to think that I could have still gone and drove and not drank. Next time folks next time. But will there be a next time? I really hope so. Like I have said before I live in fear of being left out. I don’t know why but I tend to be the one forgotten or just not invited.
- Saturday night with my roomie. We painted out nails and watched What to Expect When You’re Expecting. It was the perfect night in my opinion. Yes I was in bed by 11pm which is not normal for a college student but it is normal for a college student who likes to wake up by 6 on the weekends! I enjoy my quiet nights and there is nothing wrong with that. But I really do need to make sure every weekend this semester isn’t a bunch of quiet nights.
Well that was longer than intended. Sorry. I am looking forward to this week because classes will really start up! I have a short paper due Wednesday along with a speech. O and did you see that I woke up at 4am this morning? Yup that I did which means hopefully I can get to sleep early tonight but with a meeting until 7:30pm that might be debatable. I hope you all have a magnificent Monday and a wonderful week!